Element14, a multi-channel distributor of electronic components worldwide and an Avnet company celebrated the International Women in Engineering Day 2020. The organization had a conversation with women working in their different operations worldwide to mark their achievenments in the industry. There was also a discussion on various topics such as gender diversity in the workplace. 14 women who a part of the organization joined the discussion from different parts of the world. It was done mainly to help the aspiring women who want to make a career in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The discussion also included other major topics such as increasing the presence of women in the industry and the progress and success they have achieved, though the group concluded that women are definitely under-represented. Some tips from the discussion which have been shared for the budding engineers who want to work in the electronic industry are given below:
- One should be well aware of the recent developments, technologies and trends in the industry. There should be no end in gaining knowledge.
- One should have full faith and confidence in onself.
- It is absolutely okay to feel uncomfortable. One might feel uneasy in the pursuit of trying something new and this might only help them reach their maximum potential.
- Move beyond the stereotypical thinking.
- A proper guidance is very important.
Chris Breslin, President at Farnell and element14, said that we should think beyond the traditional thinking and believe in diversity in the workplace approach. Women should be given equal opportunities and chances to present themselves.