January 19, 2021

Samsung Ditches Snapdragon 810 for Galaxy S6 Due to Heating Issues: Report


Adding to several rumours for the anticipated Samsung Galaxy S6, a new report now states that the South Korean smartphone maker has ditched the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 SoC for its flagship smartphone – though not completely.

The rumour comes few weeks after a report claiming that Snapdragon 810 SoC was delayed, and facing issues with heating at certain voltage levels, leading several companies to put their flagship devices on hold. Qualcomm reacted to these reports,rubbishing them and saying the chip was on track. However, Samsung is now beingtipped by Digitimes to be using its own Exynos SoC, produced using the 14nm process.

Multiple sources have added that Samsung at first will ship 80-90 percent of its Galaxy S6 smartphones featuring the Exynos chip and the remaining 10 percent using Qualcomm Snapdragon 810. As Qualcomm will solve the Snapdragon 810’s overheating issue, Samsung will slowly increase the processor’s usage in its Galaxy S6 and reduce the number of Exynos-based devices.

It is worth mentioning that Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 810 processors are mass produced by TSMC using the 20nm process. TSMC is also expected to start using the 16nm process by July this year. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor has alreadydebuted in the LG G Flex 2 smartphone, which was launched at the CES 2015 event.

The Samsung Galaxy S6 is expected to show up at the upcoming MWC 2015 event. The smartphone, according to the latest reports, will feature a toned down TouchWiz UI. The company is supposedly planning to remove unpopular and unnecessary apps from the TouchWiz UI to “reduce the capacity of system memory,” as per Business Korea. It also stressed that the company is focusing on improving its function by “strengthening core features.”