Dell Technologies (NYSE: DELL) is upgrading the performance of Dell EMC PowerStore enterprise storage systems with new software and automation capabilities. The company is also introducing the PowerStore 500, a lower-cost model suitable for a broader range of businesses and use cases with enterprise performance and features.
“PowerStore is the fastest-growing new architecture in Dell history. New and existing storage customers are seeing first-hand how its unique design, extreme performance and standout automation capabilities help them innovate and maintain a competitive advantage,” said Jeff Boudreau, president and general manager, Infrastructure Solutions Group, Dell Technologies. “With today’s announcements, we’ve made PowerStore faster and smarter while making it easier for a broader range of businesses to get started with the platform.”
“As we move ahead in the new data era, we are observing that the combination of massive data generation and unparalleled technology innovation has given businesses across segments an opportunity to become digital powerhouses. But despite this potential, organizations are struggling to manage the complexities of digital transformation, since data has become more diverse and is now being created, processed and stored everywhere, from the edge to the cloud”, said Amit Luthra, Director & General Manager, Storage Platforms & Solutions, Dell Technologies India. “We at Dell Technologies understand these evolving challenges of our customers, and to meet these new requirements, we are upgrading the performance of Dell EMC PowerStore enterprise storage systems. With its unique design, smart performance and standout automation capabilities, PowerStore solution will enable customers to innovate and gain a competitive advantage. Along with this, we are happy to announce the launch of PowerStore 500, a lower-cost model, suitable for a broader range of businesses and use cases, with robust performance and features”.
Dell Technologies, the industry’s leading enterprise storage provider1, has globally shipped more than 400 petabytes of PowerStore storage—roughly the same as storing 136 billion songs as MP3 files—in more than 60 countries in industries such as education, gaming, transportation, healthcare, retail and financial services. New PowerStore users include Columbia Southern University, Habib Bank, RealPage, saberVox, Tech Data, The University of Pisa, Tilly’s and Ultraleap.
Enhancements in PowerStoreOS 2.0 can be applied to new and existing PowerStore appliances with zero disruptions to customer operations:
- Performance improvements: PowerStore supports a wide range of workloads with its scale-up, scale-out architecture for block, file and VMware vSphere Virtual Volumes. Businesses now get better performance from workloads on their PowerStore, achieving up to 25% more Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS).2
- Infrastructure modernization: PowerStore extends the advantages of NVMe across the data center by adding the option of NVMe over Fibre Channel (NVMe-FC), which requires a simple software update and no additional hardware.
- Scale-out with AppsON: The industry’s only storage array with a built-in VMware ESXi hypervisor 3 allows customers to run applications directly on the system using the AppsON feature for better performance, mobility and workload consolidation. Scale-out and appliance clustering additions to AppsON provide additional compute power for storage-intensive applications at the edge in areas such as healthcare and big data analytics.
“Enterprises undergoing digital transformation are looking for performance and flexibility to better help them accommodate demanding new workloads and better consolidate existing ones in distributed environments,” said Eric Burgener, research vice president, Infrastructure Systems, Platforms and Technologies Group at IDC. “The incorporation of new technologies and enterprise-class storage management capabilities into lower cost storage like the Dell EMC PowerStore 500 provide additional options for customers even as they drive more value for the money.”
PowerStore updates automate data processes and deliver greater cost savings:
- Intelligent data reduction: PowerStore simplifies storage management by optimizing capacity and performance while delivering a guaranteed 4:1 data reduction.4 The array’s Intelligent Data Reduction functionality is always running without impacting performance.
- Greater resiliency: PowerStore’s Dynamic Resiliency Engine (DRE) helps customers maintain performance while safeguarding against dual drive failures. DRE provides up to 98% less management effort compared to traditional RAID configurations.5
- Smarter tiering: PowerStore uses storage class memory (SCM) as persistent storage and differentiates between SCM and standard NVMe drives within the system, speeding metadata access for up to 15% lower workload latency6 with an investment as low as a single Intel® Optane™ D4800X drive.
PowerStore’s automation capabilities are complimented by Dell EMC CloudIQ, storage monitoring and analytics software that uses artificial and human intelligence to deliver real-time performance and capacity insights.
Introducing the PowerStore 500
The PowerStore 500 delivers enterprise performance and storage services at an accessible price point. PowerStore 500 is suitable to businesses of any size and can be used in remote or branch locations, edge environments or larger IT deployments. It’s also available through Flex On Demand, allowing customers to acquire the technology they need with payments that scale to match actual usage.
The array’s compact 2U form-factor stores up to 1.2 petabytes and is capable of handling demanding enterprise workloads, supporting up to 2.4 million SQL transactions per minute7 and 1,500 VDI desktops per appliance.8 Customers can combine multiple PowerStore 500 appliances for an affordable cluster that is easily managed with automation and data mobility capabilities. For larger configurations, customers can mix and match PowerStore models to scale as IT needs change.
The Dell EMC Future-Proof Program includes Anytime Upgrades, the industry’s most flexible controller upgrade program.9 Unique to Dell Technologies, customers can enhance or expand their PowerStore performance and capacity after only 180 days.10 Anytime Upgrades, combined with PowerStore’s adaptable architecture, effectively eliminates costly, disruptive platform migrations.