Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic and countries being under lockdown, everything has moved online. The fact of the matter is, no-one could have predicted we’d be where we are today, in the novel Coronavirus era with more of the world’s population now working from home. A large amount of traffic has moved online, which has provided hackers a good breeding ground, which has risked cybersecurity. Schools and colleges started conducting online classes on platforms like the ZOOM meeting, which raised doubts about cyber risks. Many countries were banning the app, and the Indian Government released a notice of caution for this app after unethical use of the meeting services, raising doubts in the minds of ordinary people. Even after so many alternatives and being so so famous, applications like Skype, Microsoft team, and Google Meet could not gain as much market share as their counterpart ZOOM, even after being in this trade for so long. It raised doubts over internet security and fraud happening all over the world. According to data, cybersecurity has become an integral part of the pandemic response, and 94% of people are more concerned about internet security than before the Covid-19.
Both cybersecurity and healthcare organizations are tasked with fighting viruses, whether they may be airborne or malware. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency has also released the first in a series of six Cyber Essentials Toolkits. It is for small businesses and government agencies to understand the issue of cybersecurity and address cybersecurity risk as they tackle other threats. Zoom made a lot of progress on its plan adding new security features and making it safe for its users. With the current Government’s focus on digitization and push-to-integrative information technology, ensuring cybersecurity is of utmost importance. Being an initiative under the “Make in India” campaign, WiJungle, a prominent company in Unified Network Security space, has emerged as the Government’s new solution for ensuring cybersecurity. It is extensively serving many Indian ministries and the PMO as well. The Unified product helps these organizations to strengthen their security framework by managing and securing their digital infrastructure. In a situation such as this, many companies are making sure they encrypt their data and secure information and transaction, but what can we, as regular users of the internet, adopt to make our internet environment safer. Here are some ways in which you can ensure your safety:
1. Protect your data– It is of utmost importance to avoid sharing your personal information over internet.there are a lot of Scammer and hackers who are looking for this type of information to but their hands in your pockets. Keep in mind that cybercriminals can create email addresses and websites that look legitimate.
2. Avoid pop-ups, unknown emails, and links– Many sites open pop-ups, and many people there are many mails forwarded to the masses, which can lead to huge risks. Be alert about phishing, which could lead to a security breach.
3. Use reliable password protection and authentication– A strong password contains at least ten characters and includes numbers, symbols, and capital and lowercase letters. It is helpful to keep changing your password regularly.
4. Never think you are safe– people make the mistake of thinking about why someone would enter their system; they are regular users or small businesses. In contrast to this data, thieves are only looking for the path of least resistance, and through yours, they could enter many other systems too.
5. Always connect to secure network– All your systems should be secure, encrypted. Never connect to public networks for the sake of free Wi-Fi. A VPN could be useful when surfing the internet.
6. Use firewall protection– Having a firewall could be the first line of defense, Firewalls prevent unauthorized users from accessing your websites or stop you from entering unsecured websites.
7. Install and use updated security systems– It is wise to invest in cybersecurity softwares because if even once some hackers enter into your system, he could retrieve sensitive information. And having reliable antivirus and malware detection will always prevent your order from being breached.
8. Educate yourself regarding cybersecurity– It is so important to keep yourself updated and educate yourself about your responsibilities as an aware internet user. Having the right knowledge can protect your security breach.