Barracuda Backup Provides Customers Greater Flexibility for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery with Long-Term Retention and Physical-to-Virtual Portability
- Barracuda launches Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) Cloud-to-Cloud Backup beginning with support for Microsoft Office 365.
- Barracuda Backup offers customers flexible deployments for long-term data retention, and now enables administrators to easily export data onto external disk or tape.
- Physical-to-virtual (P2V) portability with Barracuda Backup enables customers to restore physical backups onto a virtual server for rapid disaster recovery.
Barracuda is expanding on its existing flexible options for businesses to manage their data protection and disaster recovery needs. Cloud-to-Cloud Backup, Barracuda’s new SaaS backup option, provides customers with the ability to replicate data from supported cloud environments into Barracuda’s Cloud Storage. Barracuda Backup now provides customers with additional options for long-term data retention and physical-to-virtual portability.
“As IDC’s worldwide unit leader in Integrated Purpose Built Backup Appliances, extending the value we provide to our customers is always our top priority, which includes giving them flexible options for protecting their data and restoring services quickly in the event of a disaster,” said Rod Mathews, GM Storage, Barracuda. “As businesses continue to move their infrastructures to the cloud with the adoption of SaaS applications, providing the same level of protection for physical servers, virtual servers, and cloud services is crucial. The new options for Barracuda Backup, including Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for SaaS applications, will offer customers additional flexibility for data protection and disaster recovery.”
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) Backup
Barracuda’s new Cloud-to-Cloud Backup currently supports Microsoft Office 365 including Exchange Online and OneDrive for Business. IT administrators concerned about protecting Microsoft Office 365 environments will be able to replicate data over a secure connection to be stored in Barracuda Cloud Storage. Lost data can be more easily searched for and retrieved. Administrators can download or restore data directly back to Microsoft’s hosted applications from Barracuda Cloud Control – a centralized web-based administration console, accessible from anywhere. Benefits include:
- Protection against accidental or malicious data loss
- Customizable retention policies and granular selection
- Automated or manual backups
- Search, multi-selection restores, or downloads
- Barracuda Cloud Storage can be deployed in geographically distributed, enterprise-grade data centers
- Data encrypted with HTTPS/SSL in transit and AES 265-bit encryption at rest
Flexible Options for Long-Term Data Retention
For businesses looking to meet extended retention requirements, Barracuda Backup customers can leverage Offsite Vaulting to store historical revisions in Barracuda’s Cloud Storage or an offsite Barracuda Backup appliance. Barracuda Backup is extending its functionality to include export options for historical revisions to external media such as disk or tape. Benefits include:
- Export individual files, folders, or databases – both scheduled or on-demand – to disk, tape drives, autoloaders, and robotic libraries
- Automatic scheduling and media rotation, data encryption and compression, and alerting of backup completion or errors
Barracuda Backup’s innovative LiveBoot feature provides a rapid recovery option for virtual environments during disasters and will now add physical-to-virtual (P2V) portability. For physical servers that are not yet end of life, IT admins will be able to restore these systems into a virtual server hosted in VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V. Benefits include:
- Simplified migration from legacy physical servers into virtual environments
- Reduced time-to-recovery in the event of a disaster by enabling recovery of physical servers to a virtual infrastructure
“Barracuda Backup has always provided us with the flexibility to back up our data in a way that makes the most sense for our business,” said Craig Sauvigne, System Administrator, Winthrop University. “It’s easy to buy and set up, is highly scalable and keeps improving with each update – Barracuda Backup is a great long-term solution for backup and recovery.”
Barracuda Backup is part of the company’s Data Protection Plus strategic initiative, aimed at helping customers access, retain and share critical data from anywhere and any device. For more information about Data Protection Plus, please visit: http://cuda.co/dppreview.
Pricing and Availability
Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is expected to be available in the next 60 days. It will be included for the first year at no additional charge for new and existing customers with subscriptions to Barracuda Backup Unlimited Cloud Storage. It will also be available as a standalone service. For more information on the pricing and availability of Barracuda Cloud-to-Cloud Backup, please visit http://cuda.co/direct2cloud.
The latest version of Barracuda Backup is expected to be available in the next 60 days. It will be included at no additional charge to existing customers on current appliance platforms with an active Energize Updates subscription. The Barracuda Backup list price starts at $999 USD for the all-in-one appliance, with a list price of $199 USD for the annual Energize Updates subscription. An optional Instant Replacement service featuring priority replacement of failed hardware and a complimentary hardware refresh every four years is available starting at a list price of $219 USD per year. A one-year subscription to Unlimited Cloud Storage starts at $499 USD.
Barracuda Backup is also available as a comprehensive annual subscription including the appliance, Energize Updates, Instant Replacement, and Unlimited Cloud Storage starting at a list price of $1199 per year.
International pricing and availability vary by region.